It is Thanksgiving week in Auburn, Alabama. That means the population just took about a 25,000 person hit as students roared out of town either in advance of, or immediately after the Tigers won their game Saturday afternoon.
But that giant sucking vacuum sound doesn’t mean the Verge Pipe Media team has closed down. No, we are here for your blogging pleasure (at least today!).
Christmas music echoes from the office walls, the smell of coffee from Mama Mocha’s fills the space and the only interruption is the sound of my keyboard.
We have lots to be thankful for here at Verge Pipe Media. We also have lots to look forward to in 2013, but that can wait. Right now, I want to share a few of the things this rarely humble startup founder is thankful for….
- Interns. I’m grateful there are so many of these bright, youthful sons and daughters at Auburn University who place their trust in us for a semester, three times per year. We learn a lot from each group, and I hope they take a little piece of us out into, “the real world.”
- Competitors. Yes, I’m thankful we have competition. Why? It means we’re providing value to the world if others see us and want to be like us. Just over 2 years ago when I began the Verge Pipe blog, an internet search for, “Social Media Marketing” yielded about 6,000 results. Today….heck, go see for yourself – it’s a ridiculous number. And, healthy competition makes any person or business better.
- Critics. We have one in particular who has become a pet of the office. He’s not correct by our account very often, but he does keep us on our toes. Similar to competitors, I think critics are a powerful validation tool.
- Smartphones. What a game changer these have, and will continue to be in our business. It really is a blessing to be able to design and then deliver campaigns, apps and marketing solutions for clients who understand the power of mobile consumers.
- Music. More specifically, an office full of folks with wildly different musical tastes than moi. Why did this one make the list? Because I’m thankful I have true taste in music and came of age in a time when musicians weren’t so dang predictable. Yes team, that was a dig*
- Clients! Yes, we’re so thankful for our clients – we want more!! Seriously, we have some terrific partners as we close out this year and move into next. You know who you are and on behalf of the entire VPM team, thank you.
- The M&M team: Meredith and Micah. They each joined up for different reasons, and expecting different results, but they’re here almost one year to the date they originally said, “I do” in this marriage. I’m tough on them at times, not tough enough at others, but I appreciate them both at all times.
- The Southside District. Or as we more commonly call them, our neighbors. From stalwarts like Amsterdam Café and the Gnu’s Room to Bell + Bragg, Perch Beads (we’re accustomed to the hammering now!), Shenanigans Tattoo Parlor, and of course Willie’s Wings!
- Lessons learned, leaders past. I love keeping up with my former bosses on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin. The glimpses I get into the other parts of their life now are priceless. I continue to learn from each of them, and I’m reminded of how critical a mentor and positive role model is for young business leaders and aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Global talent. I’m not ashamed to say we utilize a diverse workforce around the world. I was a fan of Thomas Friedman’s, “The World is Flat” from the beginning, and still believe in the power of smart-sourcing work to the most talented, and dependable artisans whether they are in our backyard or not.
- My business partner, Katie. I could write an entire post on this one, but I’ll leave it at this….last year she was about halfway through a brutal yearlong treatment for stage III cancer. This year, she’s cancer free and beginning to return to pre-cancer form so look out world!
- Our readers. Folks just like you who visit our blog, website and social media properties – even if you’re not a client. We especially love readers who become clients, or refer us to potential clients. hint, hint
I could have continued, because as Dr. Seuss said, “You should be thankful a whole. heaping. lot…” Yes, I could have continued, but I won’t. And you can be thankful for that.
To each of you reading and sharing this, please enjoy a wonderful, safe Thanksgiving Holiday!
* Evidence exhibit A
Author: Don Crow is Founder & CEO at Verge Pipe Media. Verge Pipe Media assists public institutions, enterprises and the non-profit sector with Imaginative Inbound Marketing strategies + campaigns. We also have a development team chock full of Marvelous Mobile Migrators, poised to help transition our clients into a mobile + social world with custom software, iOS and Android mobile apps.