All good ideas have to start somewhere, right? Although some people are blessed by simply being struck with good ideas, the rest of us have to work to achieve them. But that's ok! With the right tools and mindset, it is possible to achieve those "holy s*** that's the best idea ever" moments. Where does this all happen? Brainstorming. Brainstorming is the perfect place to start in order to work your way towards obtaining that perfect idea.
Yes, brainstorming can be fun, creative, and really give you some unique ideas; however, you have to know how to make your brainstorm creative, but effective. Brainstorming can take time, and if you don't have an agenda and your mind focused on the goal, then your time can quickly be wasted. Keep reading if you're interested in learning how to make your brainstorm creative while keeping it effective.
- Pick your topic/goals
- Don't have a brainstorm just to have a brainstorm. There needs to be a specific topic, campaign, client, etc., in mind so that your time is being used wisely. What end product are you hoping to achieve? A summer campaign, a company slogan, an event hashtag? You need to know what exactly you are hoping to get out of this brainstorm. This will help you stay on topic to make sure you are working towards your goal. With the topic in mind, you can go about the rest of the steps catering them each towards this topic.
- Set a date and time
- Pick a date and a time for your brainstorm. It can help to have a specific time set aside in your schedule to strictly dedicate to this brainstorm. If you try to brainstorm throughout the day, while multitasking, you may be missing out on ideas because you are not giving your full attention to the topic. Clear your mind of everything else for a while to focus solely on this topic.
- Pick a team
- Depending on the topic at hand, you may have specific people in mind that you think could help you reach your goal. Whether it is for a specific campaign or client, some people may know more about the topic than others. By picking the right people, who are well equipped on the topic, can help keep your brainstorm effective. Consider letting your team know the topic and goals of the brainstorm beforehand so that they can fully prepare, and get ready to help you come up with new ideas.
- Be open minded
- When brainstorming with a team, you will be able to develop several ideas; however, you have to be open minded. Sometimes the most crazy initial thoughts lead to the best ideas. In the beginning, every idea should be accepted. By shooting down ideas, this may hurt the morale of the team or a certain person which could keep them from sharing their ideas in the future. This can be detrimental to the team and the project. By taking each idea that's brought to the table and giving it some thought, it may lead you to what you're hoping to achieve.
- Write your ideas down
- Have a whiteboard, poster board, or even a big screen ready to write down your ideas. By writing down all of your ideas for everyone to see, you can begin to work off of these ideas. Even if you know that some of them will not be used in the end, seeing it written down can help people take this idea to the next level and help them discover a better version of it. Also, maybe some of the ideas that are presented will not work for this specific project, but could be used in the future for another campaign, slogan, etc.
- Appoint a task leader
- As all of these, potentially outrageous, ideas come to the surface, the environment can become very fun, loose, and comfortable. While this is great to get your creative juices flowing, it can cause you and your team to get off task. In order to keep your team focused on the topic at hand, appoint a task leader. Whether that is you or another team member who you know can be held responsible, have them help keep the team on task. This can be done by keeping an eye on the clock or steering the team back towards the goals of the brainstorm when they get off topic. This way, you can let your mind run free with ideas while being confident in the fact that you are not wasting your or your team's time.
With these 6 tips, you can become the creative and unique company that you've always wanted to be. Remember that all good ideas have to start somewhere and may take a little bit of TLC to get them there. Don't underestimate what a little bit of time, dedication, and effort can do for your brainstorm. If you keep your mind open to all ideas and stay focused on the task at hand, brainstorming can be very creative and effective. Now it's time to grab your team and get ready to brainstorm for that kickass idea!
If you've found your idea and your ready to create the content, click below to learn more about how to create a successful campaign with that content: