Having a website and not being found is like having unlimited gas and no car… pointless. Every day there are approximately 5.9 billion Google searches. Proper search engine optimization gives your university a major opportunity to increase visibilities and generate leads. Luckily, I am here to break down the key component of SEO that your university should be utilizing:
1) Page Title Tags - these are one of the most important features to consider when wanting to positively effect Google. The page title is what appears at the top of the browser window.
- Put your most important keywords in your Page Title. Fully utilizing this feature will put you ahead of the game, for it is a step that others often miss.
- Order matters – earlier words carry more weight, so be intentional.
- Attraction is key – it is important to remember that everyone is not a Google robot and you must still be engaging for others to be attracted to you.
2) Meta description – this description tells what your web page is actually about and gives the user a glimpse of what to expect. Although it's coded and not actually on your website, it is very important. By taking the time to write a captivating Meta description, you are increasing your chances to be clicked on from web users.
- Keep them less than 160 characters so that Google doesn’t cut off your description.
- Don’t use the same description for every page.
- Use keywords in your description. This helps to optimize your page view potential when people use these keywords in their Google search.
3) URL – a Uniform Resource Locator is essentially a unique address for your page. Take advantage of being able to customize this because it can leverage your opportunity to drawing in qualified leads at a first glance.
- Domain name - since this is shared on every page (vergepipemedia.com) it is useful to use a keyword here as well. Keep it short and memorable.
4) Headlines – the part of your content not only grabs the reader’s attention, but also makes things easier to read. Google too uses these to determine what your page is about. Headings are a great symbol to Google to what keywords are important.
- Use keywords
- Like URL and title page, keep headings short so that they get maximum weight
- Use a single h1 header on each page, and use multiple h2 and h3 headers
5) Images – a simple way to liven up your content is with great visuals. Although your readers can instantly see these images, it is important to remember that Google cant. Because of this, it is important to use an “alt” code. This code will allow you to describe an image with text in a way that Google can read.
- Like the URL, your image tag should also contain keywords
Now that you have been schooled on the breakdown of higher ed SEO resources, it is time to go forth and prosper. Step-by-step you will now be able to crawl to the top of that Google page and fully utilize all aspects of your digital presence.
photo credit: How to seo a website via photopin (license)