SEO can create free marketing. Who doesn’t want that? But if you don’t know what SEO stands for, you’re not alone. On my first day at Verge Pipe Media, the word was thrown around constantly and the entire time I kept thinking to myself, “What is this strange acronym and why does everyone keep talking about it?” Well, to answer those questions, SEO stands for search engine optimization, and understanding what it is and how to use it is critical for success in the Internet world. However, Google search “SEO“ and you may be overwhelmed with technical definitions that make little sense, so here are the basics:
- SEO involves tailoring content and website design with an end goal of improving performance in search results. SEO also includes understanding how search engines work so that your site shows up when a user searches using keywords that pertain to your site.
- The word “crawl” in the SEO context does not mean how a baby moves around, crawling in SEO describes the process the search engine uses to go through millions of sites, retrieve information, and add links to the results page.
- Indexable content is a huge concept in SEO and essentially means the spiders that are doing this SEO crawl can easily find content because it has been formatted specifically so that it will show up on the results page of a search.
So why exactly should universities pay attention to SEO? For a university, using SEO efficiently can produce traffic that otherwise may never occur. Here are a few statistics from Search Engine Journal that prove the importance of Search Engine Optimization:
- 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine75% percent of users never scroll past the first page of results
- Over 100 billion global searches being conducted each month
- 75% percent of users never scroll past the first page of result