There are two reasons why inbound marketing should be taught in the classroom. They're short and to the point as well.
1. Inbound Marketing gets results.
2. Inbound Marketing equals jobs.
Now, if you're in a hurry, that's really all you need to know. If you've got a few minutes, I invite you to stick around and listen to the advice of a guy who:
1. Has proven Inbound works for his business as well as his clients, and
2. Has hired, or not retained, people because of their Inbound prowess.
As a member of the adjunct faculty of the School of Communication and Journalisam at Auburn University, I get to see first-hand the benefits of teaching inbound to PR, Communications and other undergraduate majors in their junior and senior years. Some of them have written me afterwards and one had this to say:
I also want to reiterate how grateful I am for everything I have learned from you and VPM. I cannot even begin to express how much I enjoyed my time there and how valuable it was (and still is, and will continue to be). Every day I use knowledge and skills that you and my experience taught me, and every day people are impressed that I have gained so much in such a short time.
1. Go get Inbound Certified. It's free and it's online: http://academy.hubspot.com/inbound-certification
2. Go join the Inbound community and follow jobs and discussions and more: http://inbound.org/
3. Get an internship, even if it is unpaid, and put your Inbound skills to work. Start a movement and get your organization onboard. Chances are great you'll earn yourself a full time, paid spot on the team because at that point you'll be irreplaceable.
And if you're a faculty member, you can certainly do points 1 and 2 above as well. Then challenge yourself to incorporate more Inbound in your classroom and petition for cirriculum changes to support where the world of marketing and sales is going.
And if you're a business or non-profit leader looking for a jumpstart in Inbound for your organization, please click the link below, download our FREE eBook and contact us to get started.